The Office of the Property Rights Ombudsman As part of its mandate from the Utah Legislature, The Office of the Property Rights Ombudsman provides free training on a variety of topics, including, land use & development, eminent domain and takings law. The Office of the Property Rights Ombudsman has provided funding for this training program from the 1% surcharge on all building permits in the State of Utah.
LAND USE 101 – TRAINING FOR APPOINTED AND ELECTED OFFICIALS IN UTAH
The Land Use Academy of Utah is hosting an introductory training on land use in Utah for local government officials. The training will be broadcast live from the USU facility in Taylorsville to other extension sites throughout the state in which participants can interact in real time with the presenters. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to learn from and interact with Utah’s land use experts in your neck of the woods!
Utah Chapter of American Planning Association, Office of the Private Property Rights Ombudsman, Utah Counties Indemnity Pool, Utah League of Cities and Towns, Utah State University and the Utah Property Rights Coalition.
Counties, cities, and towns. Council members, planning commissioners, members of the appeal authority and staff. Generally, any person who deals with land use issues in local government. This is an interactive live broadcast – come, engage, ask questions, and learn all you need to know about land use in Utah!
We just concluded our 2019 schedule. Please join us next year! We will post the new schedule in December. All training’s take place on Saturdays from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Please see our past training’s posted on this site under Publications.
Broadcast to these USU sites:
USU Taylorsville Campus
920 West Levoy Drive
Taylorsville, UT 84123
Topics covered in this basic training session will include:
9:00 AM-11:00 AM:
1. Statutory Powers and Duties of the Land Use Authority and Appeal Authority (Meg Ryan, ULCT)
2. Review of Land Use Planning Tools, General Plan, and Ordinances (Steve Pastorick, Utah APA & West Valley Community Development Director)
4. How to make a Land Use Decision: The Legal Framework (Brent Bateman via video, Former State Ombudsman)
5. Conditional Use Permits, John Janson, AICP
6. General Overview of Meeting Procedures and Required Public Hearings and Notice & Open Meetings Training/ State Ethics Review Johnnie Miller, UCIP)